Sunday, October 24, 2010

Love Story

Love at First Sight
by jyotikajoy


Many couples at my age go out to eat, watch a movie, or study together. However, in my case, I cannot see, touch, or hug my boyfriend because distance has separated us. Even though we have only seen each other in person for seven days and talked on the internet for one year, we still have a very close bond that has not been broken to this day. Many things have separated us, but the one that hurts the most is distance. We have overcome many obstacles to stay in contact with each other and have been through many brick walls.  We do not plan to stop until we are finally together at last.
I met him in a after school program in the Museum of Natural History next to central park in the middle of Manhattan in New York City. I sat in a high chair in a cold room with white tables with about 15 to 20 students in the class with me. I had my best friend, Mimi, from high school with me. I saw him from across the room sitting their in a sharp business suit with a blue tie, white shirt, and black pants. He also had an ID tag around his neck which he used for coming in to his school. Once the teacher said his name, I never forgot it. “Devin, please tell the class what a GPS system is,” said the teacher. After that day, all I did was talk to my friend about how tall, tan, and handsome Devin was. On the second day of the program, I talked to him and we both went out to central park for a walk. As we were walking, Devin told me his views on love, war, life, faith, and destiny; however, I was too busy dazing into his eyes and trying to fight of a strong urge to touch him than listening to what he was saying. After the long and exhausting walk, we said good bye to each other and I jumped into his arms to hug him. Although he was skinny, I could feel his muscles on his back. He smelled like expensive cologne (which wasn’t strong and you couldn’t smell it until you got close enough to him) and his clothes were so soft. I have never forgotten his gentle touch when he put his arms around me. I felt so comfortable and safe like I was meant to be there.
Three months after meeting him…I moved in June of 2007. I left the big city of New York, where the city never sleeps and ended up in a place where people’s average bedtime is 9 p.m. “Welcome to the middle of no where,” I kept telling myself. “Thanks a lot dad! I am in the middle of no where, and I am going to a stupid school that reminds me of High School Musical” I exclaimed to my father once I came to Fort Wayne, Indiana. Though, the sad part wasn’t the fact that I lost all of my friends, it was the fact that I lost the chance to see Devin.
We kept talking for months about life, emotions, experiences, goals, and about ourselves. After a long year of talking to him, he finally asked me if I would be his girlfriend on a Sunday night, on April 7, 2008 at 12:00 a.m. Of course, I said “yes!”
As we continued to talk I realized he was very deep, trustworthy, and dependable. He made me feel incredibly comfortable and he was so easy to talk to and share my feelings with. He made my heart melt and took my breath away when he wrote me poems. I have never met anyone like him and nor will I meet anyone like him again. Since I couldn’t see him, I talked to him on the phone everyday and every chance I got. My mother and father, being traditional Indian parents did not think it was right for me to be talking to a boy. They took my phone and computer away many times to limit the time I spent with him. I often cried when I was not able to talk to him and I laid in my cold bed at night thinking about the sound of his voice and how happy it would make me feel if I could hear him say “I love you” one more time to help me fall asleep.
Now it is 2010 and it is getting close to our second year anniversary. I do not get to see him often and I still cry when I miss him a lot. I have made some changes to overcome our obstacles. For example, we both have a webcam, so we technically can see each other. I also bought a back up cell phone just in case my parents take my other cell phone away. Every obstacle we have faced just makes us stronger as a couple and even though we are 600 miles apart, our relationship is stronger than many of the people we see in our age group and we cherish every moment we get have together. We have decided to spend the rest of our lives together and get married. Can you hear the song “Here comes the bride?”

No comments:

Post a Comment